Citizen Services Naming Contest!
Champagne and Aishihik First Nations (CAFN) is asking Citizens to submit your ideas for a new name for our Citizen Services project.
Name Entry Guidelines:
Name submissions must:
- be in Dákwänjē (Southern Tutchone);
- reflect the idea of doing things Dän K’e (Our Way), show our language and cultural values;
- reflect that our people (dän) are at the heart of all we do at CAFN;
- be one word or a short phrase (no more than 3-4 words maximum);
- optional: include a traditional story that relates to the name you are submitting and illustrates traditional values. Places to look for stories include: books, Elders, and grandparents. CAFN Heritage staff may be able to help locate a written version of a story you have heard, or heard of.
What is Citizen Services?
- A project to build Dän K’e (our language, spirituality and culture, Our Way) into everything we do in the CAFN government and as CAFN people;
- Started at the 2015 General Assembly and built on consultation with Citizens;
- Re-envisions how we deliver programs and services to CAFN Citizens by putting the Citizen at the centre of everything;
- Moves us away from the Indian Act and Department of Indian Affairs model;
- Moves toward a future built on Dän K’e – our own ways of doing things;
- Provides opportunities for Citizens;
- Acknowledges that every individual has responsibility and a role to play;
- Looks back to our ancestors for guidance on how to move forward, with strength and humility.
Dän K’e – Our Way – is our path forward, shifting away from the Indian Act and colonialism; restoring our ancestors’ vision for the future.
PRIZE: The contest winner will receive round trip tickets on Air North for two people.
How to enter:
Submit your entry no later than 11:59 p.m. on June 30, 2018:
– by email to email@example.com;
– deliver to CAFN reception staff at our Haines Junction or Whitehorse office in a sealed envelope to ATTENTION: Amy McKinnon, Communications Manager;
– or mail to Champagne and Aishihik First Nations, PO Box 5310, Haines Junction, YT Y0B 1L0 ATTENTION: Amy McKinnon, Communications Manager;
There is no limit to the number of entries per person.
Please include your submission for the new program name, as well as your name, mailing address, email address and phone number. If a minor (under the age of 18), please also include your parent or guardian’s contact information.
1. The contest is open to all CAFN Citizens.
2. Entrants may be any age, but need to be able to read and write in order to submit their name ideas.
Judging and selection of winner:
1. Name submissions will be reviewed during the first week of July;
2. The winning name will be selected by the Standing Committee on Citizen Services, which is made up of three CAFN Council members and supporting staff, in early July;
3. The new name will be announced at the 2018 CAFN General Assembly July 20-22, 2018.
Participation shows that you agree to and accept these rules. By participating in the contest, the entrant shows that he/she has read and understood, and agrees to be bound by, these rules.
Minors (Citizens under the age of 18) must have permission from their parent or legal guardian to participate in the contest.
The winning name entry will become the sole property of Champagne and Aishihik First Nations.