Champagne and Aishihik First Nations Language class
This course is designed to cover basics in Dákwanjè and allow for students to feel comfortable having conversations in Dákwanjè. This course will be hosted 1-3 times a week and participants are asked to attend a minum of 1 class per week. Participants are encourgaed to attend as many classes during the week depending on work demands and commitment restraints. Lunch classes are designed for people that are not able to make classes during regular hours.
Each class will be broken in to three parts:
1. learning various words using Total Physical Response. Participants will be asked not to speak in Guch’än during this time and the class will do various activities immersed in Dákwanjè.
2. learning pheonetics of Dákwanjè. This will be a time where participants can take notes and ask questions about what we are learning.
3. The class will go back to only speaking Dákwanjè and students will be encouraged to speak when they feel ready to talk. No one will be asked to speak unless the instructor knows they are ready to do so.
1. Covering basic words of the week.
2. Learning strutcure of the language
3. Short Dákwanjè activity
Each week there will be tayke (3) assignments that students are expected to have completed.
Each class we will have time to work on our personal introductions. Everyone will then be asked to introduce themselves to at least one person in Dákwanjè outside of the classroom by the end of the week.
2. Audio lesson
A short clip will be downloaded to Youtube each week that will cover new vocabulary. Please go to Youtube and look up “We are our language”. Watch the video by the end of the week.
3. Word of the week.
Everyone will be asked to learn one word in Dákwanjè each week. For the rest of the week people will be encouraged to only use the Dákwanjè word INSTEAD of english.
For students to use Dákwanjè on a daily basis.
Monday at Whitehorse office:
8.45 – 10 am
March 6, 13, 27
April 3, 10, 24
May 1, 8, 15
Tuesday at Whitehorse office
8.45 – 10 am
February 7, 14, 21
April 11, 18, 25
May 2, 9, 23
Wednesday in Haines Junction
8.40 – 10.10 am (Dáku ̨̀ classroom)
10.30 – 12 pm (Council chambers)
12.10-12.50 pm (Council chambers)
February 1, 8, 15, 22
March 1, 29
April 12, 19, 26
May 3, 10, 24
**Friday class will be on March 10th*