Please join in honouring our respected leader and Chief of CAFN for 20 years, Nashiya – Chief Paul Birckel.
There are several ways you can participate to show your respect.
Procession to Klukshu on Friday, July 16:
- 11 a.m. Immediate family only may join the procession from Heritage North Funeral Home
- 11 a.m. others may join the procession near the Mayo cutoff (details tbc)
- 11 a.m. Drummers will gather in full regalia to honour Chief Paul along the Alaska Highway – please meet on the straight stretch past the Mayo Cutoff.
- 1 p.m. Drummers will gather in full regalia to drum Chief Paul through Dakwäkäda – please meet in the parking lot at the Lucky Dragon
Funeral Saturday, July 17, at Klukshu:
- The service will begin at 2 p.m. and will be held in a large tent
- The potlatch bowl will be open all day
- After the service, you may join the procession to the grave site
- Watch the funeral service online – this special gathering will be video recorded and shared online as soon as possible after the service for those who cannot attend in-person (appx 2 days).
CAFN and the family encourage you to honour Chief Paul safely. COVID-19 safety measures will be in full effect:
- The current maximum gathering size is 200 people
- Please do not bring children younger than age 12
- Masks will be required inside and outside
- Hand washing and sanitizing stations will be available
- Please keep a safe distance from people outside your household bubble
- You will be asked to provide your name for contact tracing purposes
Please see this announcement from the family of Chief Paul Birckel.