St. Elias School Community Committee
Yukon First Nation School Board Community Committee Agreement
Community Committees will be established for each First Nation School Board community to provide guidance and collaboration with the board on operations, planning and all matters regarding their local school(s).
Community Committees empower the community to guide its own school. Community Committee agreements support this work, with the flexibility to change, adapt, and grow in time. They outline which powers of the Education Act will be delegated to the Community Committee and the committee will then direct and collaborate with the school board’s work in these areas.
This historic agreement was signed by Chief Barb Joe and FNSB Trustee and CAFN Citizen Shadelle Chambers at our 2023 General Assembly.
SECS Community Committee
Community Committee members have responsibility for a wide variety of duties including but not limited to:
- Co-creation and approval of school plans
- Co-creation, approval of school policies for administration, management and operation of the school, including student attendance policies.
- Authorizing locally-developed courses, local First Nation language programming, and the use of textbook and other instructional materials, together with the school board and Minister of Education.
- Support the school board for school staff selection, management and Principal evaluation
- Guidance for the school board on localized policies for dispute resolution
- Any person who is a resident of the school’s catchment area (Haines Junction and area)
- Close relative to a student attending the school.
DEADLINE TO APPLY
Thursday, September 6, 2023.
Get In Touch
For more information or to submit your application form and resume contact::
(867) 456-6888 extension 332